Monday, May 20, 2013

Good Pig

This morning was cold and gloomy. Munchkin and I curled up on the couch and vegged out to cartoons till our tummies started rumbling. What to cook for breakfast? I was in the mood for something, hot, thick, and creamy-like biscuits and gravy, or maybe potato soup. Alas, I didn't have the ingredients for either.

Since my stomach was threatening to eat itself I tossed some sliced strawberries in with the last of full fat Greek yogurt and nibbled on those while looking through my new cookbook. The lemon blueberry muffins looked awesome but I was down to three eggs...not enough. I got about four bites before Munchkin appeared and asked for the rest. *sigh* The sacrifices we make. Since I still couldn't decide what to make I laid half a package of bacon on a tray and threw it in the oven. Bacon solves all problems. While it cooked I ate a spoonful of coconut butter.

As Munchkin said "good pig, good pig". She somehow managed to smear bacon grease on the cover of "Gather" but I'm pretty sure Hayley and Bill would approve (plus it wiped off). By the time we'd polished off the bacon neither one of us was hungry, but I was still in the mood for something cold-weathery-ish. A quick look through the freezer confirmed no chicken stock (eek!) but I did have several quarts of goose stock from our Yule goose. Hmmm...

I defrosted the stock, along with a package of chicken breasts and proceeded to throw together a quick soup. I poached the chicken, added it to the stock along with thick cut carrots, celery and onion. I let it simmer for 30 minutes while I chased Munchkin around the yard and picked a mess of spinach. I washed and sliced the spinach into thin strips. Once the carrots were tender I added the spinach in.

Viola! Soup is served:

I added a bit of roasted nori for the all the good minerals and nutrients it provides. I don't normally like seaweed but the nori went great with the soup, I ended up eating an entire sheet, except for the two bites I managed to get Munchkin to try. She pronounced the first bite yucky, then sneaked a second piece from my bowl.

Hubby came home early and we took our cat to the vet. He had been sick and was getting worse. The news was not good and we made the decision to put him to sleep. When I was 15 I watched him being born and he'd been with me ever since-it was a hard decision but I know he's now comfortable and out of pain.

I was pretty down the rest of the day and supper was not paleo approved. Sorry, no pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment